As he wanted a variety of flavours I opted to do 24 red velvet cupcakes, 24 chocolate cupcakes, and 24 vanilla mulicoloured cupcakes.
Vanilla Multicolour Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a bowl sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil and continue to beat.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl.
- Share batter out into 3 measuring jugs (I use measuring jugs so that I can make sure I have the same amount of batter in each)
- To one mixture add blue food colouring and to another red colouring. Add as much as needed to get the colour you require.
- Slowly pour one colour ( I wanted blue at the bottom) into teh bases of all your cupcake liners. pour about 1/4 full.
- Next, gently pour the next colour in (I used the uncoloured vanilla). Don't pour straight down the middle as it will drop below teh bottom colour. gently pour around the edges working in.
- Do the same with the last layer of colour.
- Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 18 minutes.
To ice I just used my favourite cream cheese icing recipe.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 tub (about 230g) Cream cheese (cold - directly from fridge)
- 1/3 cup butter ( room temperature)
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence
- 4 - 6 cups Icing sugar
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add cream cheese and blend until fully combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar (one cup at a time) while mixing. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy. Keep adding sugar until you get the desired consistency. I find on hotter days I need to add more sugar as the cream cheese is a lot more melty.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate if desired